Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mags Galore...



It's a pity that even magazine addicts like myself are getting baffled in the face of so much choice in Borders Charing Cross or the Oxford Circus branch where the fashion magazine shelves are especially formidable. A few readers have asked me about which ones I buy because they too get flummoxed when facing miles and miles of glossy pages. The truth is that I don't buy everything under the sun because it's just impossible when new magazines are cropping up all the time and so I have to be selective for the sake of being able to eat in any given month. So, I'll have my staunch monthly buys which I buy without fail and a though little predictable to list through but here goes... Dazed & Confused, i-D, British Vogue, British Elle, Vogue Paris, Jalouse, Nylon, Teen Vogue, Flux, Numero, WAD, Surface and then the biannuals/quarterlies... Pop, Another, 10, Lula, Amelia's Magazine.... and then the ones which I pick and choose from depending on the 20 second flick through I do to see if it's worth buying...



Actually these are staunch buys now but still need a bit of a mention...A Magazine for choosing wonderful designers to curate a whole magazine and by curate, I mean it's really personal stuff... // Let Them Eat Cake for providing young photographers, stylists and writers a platform that has become really polished in recent issues



Amag Ltecmag



Above because occasionally the editorials are quite eye catching // Dansk for being consistently beautiful



Abovemag Danskmag



Indie magazine is a recent discoverybut I'm liking the clean cut style about it // Sam is also a bit of a newcomer and showcases really up and coming labels



Indiemagazine Sammag



Issue One is only in its third issue but there's something about the images which are really laboured over which I love //Oyster is not always regularly delivered here so it's a treat when I do see it



Issueonemag Oystermag



Vs. is a newbie on my shelves and is an expensive buy but it is very hefty in imagery // Mixte does great articles (with an English translation at the back...) and also fantastic images



Vsmag Mixtemag



Muse should become a shelf regular as I loved its latest issue // Preen is still not widely availabe in the UK so when I see it, I have to snap it up (incidentally, the first place I finally found it was a 75p magazine stall near Old Street...)



Musemag Preenmag



Even looking at the list, it's by no means definitive which is quite a scary thought in itself.... tot up the prices of those mags PLUS my regular stash and it's a bit of a scary sum...



No comments: