Saturday, June 7, 2008

Blog the Blogger: Righteous (re)Style



Oh gosh, dear readers, could it be that summer is finally here? It's supposed to be 98 in D.C. tomorrow, so I guess it is. Don't worry - the DCGF won't be going anywhere! But there will be some exciting new changes on the blog beginning next week. Until then, enjoy the final Blog the Blogger for now. It's been a great run and I wanted to end with a blog that's a personal favorite of mine, Righteous (re)Style.

Maria's blog is fabulous because she balances the desire for an eco-conscious lifestyle with the realization that sometimes a girl just needs to go to the mall. And for local folks, she's always on top of the latest, greatest goings-on around D.C. Forthwith, her responses to the DCGF's soon-to-be Famous Five (plus One) questions...

1. What is the first article of clothing you remember that you loved to wear? I have never really been attached to any on
e article of clothing to the point that I would remember it. I always like to change up my style and my outfits to fit whatever mood I’m in – and try to edit my closet down on a regular basis. However, I do remember a pair of ripped jeans that I used to wear a bit too often in high school . . . mostly to annoy my very fashion-conscious mother. [Check out both of them in the great picture at right. Gotta love those socks, Maria! -the DCGF]

2. Where is your favorite place - besides Goodwill, of course! - to shop for a fashion bargain in the DC area? As a matter of fact, I LOVE Goodwill! There are so many stores to choose from in this area. And besides the great environmental benefits of buying gently used and vintage items, you help a good cause. I recently bought an amazing bright yellow vintage suit at the Glebe Rd. store. Alas, it’s a bit too snug for me. [Oh, the curse of tiny, beautiful vintage clothing! -the DCGF]

Other than Goodwill, I really like Clothes Encounters of a Second Kind at Eastern Market, which is a consig
nment store. I always find something I like there. Recent purchases have included a $5 Coach belt and a $20 Banana Republic Suede Hobo bag. Also, although I prefer to buy vintage and secondhand items, I sometimes hit H&M to get something a little trendy. H&M is very serious about their corporate social responsibility. You can read more about it here. Plus, they have started to produce an organic cotton line every Spring – but I haven’t gotten any of the pieces yet since they sell out so fast!

3. Where is your favorite place to shop for a fashion bargain outside of DC? I love trolling eBay for vintage finds. There are a number of high-profile vintage stores on eBay now, where pieces get bid up to a price that I usually can’t afford. But, there are still plenty of amazing finds – you just have to do a bit of searching. I also love Etsy for vintage shopping, amazing emerging designers and lots of affordable hand-made things.

4. Who is your current favorite designer? I am loving any designer that is trying to produce their designs in an environmentally sound way – whether by using eco-friendly fabrics or changing the way they make things. I am also finding myself strangely attracted to pleats and folds and pintucks and ruffles (oh my!) this year – anything that has some construction behind it. Shopbop.com recently added an “earth friendly” category and they stock some nice things, like this top by Theory, which is made from organic linen. [I like the pin-tucked one, at left. -the DCGF].

I also like this organic cotton ruffle jacket by Larsen Gray. Another designer I really like is Linda Loudermilk. She is working very hard to not only use eco-friendly fabrics, but to produce her collections in ways that are environmentally friendly, as well. For instance, she recently found a way to produce jeans without all the harsh chemicals and dyes that are usually used (you’d be shocked by the regular process – its like wearing toxic waste jeans!!) I love this little video of her talking about it.

5. If you could own any single item from fashion past or present - money is no object! - what would it be? Hmmmmm, I really have no idea. If I had a lot of money to spend on something, I would probably use it for a trip around the world – and, of course, offset the greenhouse gas emissions from the travel through an organization like Carbonfund.org.

Bonus Question: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie
Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? To answer this question, I consulted the omniscient oracle that is Google and came up with this: “Research carried out by Miah and Dr. Shin indicates an average of 413 licks. Visit them at www.scoopcitymagazine.com!” So there.

Dang! Once again we end this interview with science. I think perhaps TPWP and Dr. Shin might need to go head to head to get the definitive answer to the bonus question. Big thanks to Maria, though, for participating in the last Blog the Blogger for a while. What's coming next with the DC Goodwill Fashion Blog? Hmmm...that's for me to know and you to find out!


No comments: